Electricity is a basic necessity for modern life. We use it to power lights, televisions and computers, charge our phones, run our washers and dryers, and warm our ovens so we can prepare food. Although there are countless other ways we use electricity in our daily lives at work and home, electricity itself is pretty interesting itself and worth examining a bit further. Read on to be illuminated!
5 Interesting Electricity Facts
- Electricity is fast-moving to say the least. In fact,it travels at the speed of light. That’s over 186,000 miles per second!
- We all see sparks of electricity from time to time. But did you know that a single spark of electricity can measure up to 3,000 volts?
- Lightning is really just a discharge of electricity up in the atmosphere. However, the lightning bolts that you see in the sky during a storm can travel up to 130,000 miles per hour. Not only are they fast, they can also reach temperatures of nearly 54,000 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Do you ever look up and see birds resting on power lines, and wonder why they don’t get shocked or even electrocuted by the electricity traveling through the power lines? Here’s why: if a bird rests its feet on one power line, it’s safe. However, if the bird rests one foot on one power line, and the other foot on a separate power line, the bird will become a circuit, which will cause the electricity to run through the bird’s body and electrocute it.
- Did you know that coal is the world’s largest source of fuel used to produce electricity? It’s true. Coal is used in furnaces to heat and boil water. The water is heated until it boils and creates steam. Steam is then used to power turbines that are connected to generators that create…electricity!
We’re not sure if you knew these things before, but we think they are pretty cool facts.
At Allstar Electric, we are not only certified electricians, but also love what we do. For over 16 years, we have been providing electrical services to Denver’s homes and offices to ensure the essential things are always working. If you need an electrician for your home or office, call us today at 303-399-7420 to schedule an appointment.