There’s nothing like a refreshing dip in a pool or spa on a hot summer day. Don’t let worn out or improperly installed electrical connections ruin the experience by following these tips:
Pool and Spa Electrical Safety Tips
● Keep electric cords and devices at least ten feet away pools, spas, and damp areas
● Never handle electrical devices when you’re wet (even from perspiration) or standing in water or damp areas
● Only use ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets to plug in devices that will be used outdoors. If one isn’t available, use a plug-in GFCI, available at home centers for around $15-25
● Make sure all outdoor outlets are covered to keep them dry
● Be sure all electrical equipment, including pumps and vacuums, is grounded
● Don’t locate pools or spas under power lines
● Don’t use outdoor pools or spas during thunderstorms or threatening weather
Don’t be a statistic
The Consumer Products Safety Commission says that on average there are 7-8 electrocutions or serious electrical shocks around swimming pools each year. Aside from fatal shocks, any shock can contribute to drowning; so be safe. Have a licensed electrician inspect, repair, or upgrade electrical connections around your pool, spa, or hot tub. Have them check outdoor switches and outlets to make sure they conform to the latest local and national electrical codes.
Working on wiring, switches, and outlets safely requires knowledge of electrical circuitry and codes, so don’t risk injury, shock, fire hazards, or expensive repairs by ignoring hazards. The pros at Allstar Electrical Services are ready to solve them for you. We offer homeowners, builders, and businesses reliable, professional electrical work that is safe and up to code.
Whatever your electrical needs may be, call Allstar Electrical at 303.399.7420. Then use our handy on-line forms to request a free estimate or set up an appointment. We’ve served the Front Range for over 15 years, are top-rated by the BBB and Angie’s List, and offer 24/7 radio-dispatched emergency service throughout our Front Range service area.